Flat tires are inevitable. When it happens to you, will you be ready? Flat tires occur for many reasons, including rough roads, punctures from sharp objects, damaged valve stems, worn tires, and hot weather.
In the event, you do get a flat tire, the tire experts at Champion Chrysler Jeep® Dodge RAM FIAT would like to provide you with the steps you should take to get that flat tire changed.
- Move to a safe spot: Should you experience a flat tire while driving, move to a safe place as far from other traffic as possible for safety.
- Locate the items you need to address the flat: You’ll need the spare tire, jack, and tire iron. These items may be in different places, depending on the type of car. Check your owner’s manual to see where they are.
- Be sure your car is in park before you start.
- Start by loosening the wheel lugs with the tire iron. Don’t remove them yet; just get them loose.
- Jack up the car: Position the jack under the jack point and start to raise the car. Most car jacks are screw-type scissor jacks. To work it, turn the knob at the end of the jack with the metal crank provided. Raise the car until the flat tire is off the ground.
- Take off the flat tire: Remove the lugs and set them aside securely. Then remove the tire.
- Put on the spare: Place the spare over the wheel studs. Line up the holes correctly then put the wheel lugs back on the tire.
- Lower the car and tighten the wheel lugs completely.
Remember your spare is just a temporary fix. You still need to get a new car. Visit the Dodge service center here at Champion Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM FIAT as soon as possible to get your new tire.